[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 04:52:44 PDT 2010

Joseph Catron wrote (unless I have misread the text-clipping)

>Like the assumptions packaged in posts about the Civil War sent to this very
>list within the last few hours? (For some reason, many on the left resort
>to crude moralistic appeals in this one unique instance - slavery in the
>American South - while disregarding their modern equivalents, like the
>subjugation of women in Afghanistan. For the record, I find both instances
>of imperialist propaganda equally and identically troublesome.)

Help me out, Joe. Are you saying that the cause of anti-slavery was mere propaganda in the case of the U.S. civil war? In which case, I disagree. Or have I misunderstood.

Crushing the confederacy, and slavery with it, seems like a good thing, to me.