[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 09:35:21 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 7:52 AM, James Heartfield < Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

Help me out, Joe. Are you saying that the cause of anti-slavery was mere
> propaganda in the case of the U.S. civil war? In which case, I disagree. Or
> have I misunderstood.

I'm hard-pressed to believe it was much more than that. Do you think that abolitionism was any kind of a major factor in the Union's decision to go to war? Why?

> Crushing the confederacy, and slavery with it, seems like a good thing, to
> me.

And for all I know, you might also agree with the M-E line on the Mexican-American War. My interest here is the way these positions differ from those held by anti-imperialists of the Marxist left today. (Based on your recent posts, I take it your reason for opposing the Afghanistan war is your belief that nothing good can be accomplished there. This isn't a perspective I'm currently interested in arguing against, but it doesn't entail the same kind of principled basis for opposing imperialism we see in what currently pass for Marxist parties - although they, too, curiously exempt the Civil War.)