[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 07:15:15 PDT 2010

Chris: they had no problem siding with larger nations against smaller ones if they thought the former were progressive (which ironically usually meant more capitalist) and the latter backward.

[WS:] I have no interest in hagiography - but the position itself warrants some thought (whether or not it was actually proposed by M&E.) That is to say, let's consider the distribution of cost and benefits of national independence vs. imperial domination. If the former leads to backward rural societies ruled by a priestly oligarchy and the latter leads to economic development that replaces the local priestly oligarchy with remote central bureaucracy and improves, even if slightly, the living conditions of the vast majority of the population (cf Tibet) - why would someone identifying him- or her-self with the left support the former but not the later?

Wojtek