[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 07:26:54 PDT 2010

I am not making a value judgment about the beliefs of Marx and Engels either way. I'm just pointing out that they were not "principled anti-imperialists," but rather, as Chris Mk. II points out, judged these things on a case by case basis (with reference to their overriding view of historical progress).

----- Original Message ---- From: Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thu, April 8, 2010 6:15:15 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Chris: they had no problem siding with larger nations against smaller ones if they thought the former were progressive (which ironically usually meant more capitalist) and the latter backward.

[WS:] I have no interest in hagiography  - but the position itself warrants some thought (whether or not it was actually proposed by M&E.)  That is to say, let's consider the distribution of cost and benefits of national independence vs. imperial domination.  If the former leads to backward rural societies ruled by a priestly oligarchy and the latter leads to economic development that replaces  the local priestly oligarchy with remote central bureaucracy and improves, even if slightly, the living conditions of the vast majority of the population (cf Tibet) - why would someone identifying him- or her-self with the left support the former but not the later?

Wojtek