[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Christopher Cutrone ccutrone at speedsite.com
Thu Apr 8 16:15:58 PDT 2010

I don't separate the "Left" between countries, nor do I think anyone should. For the absence of a Left in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, and, yes, Iran, today, is inextricably bound up with its absence in the U.S., Europe, etc. (On Iran, clearly a U.S. or Israeli strike would strengthen the Right there, which is why they are trying to provoke this, which might lead Iran into the abyss, as happened with Saddam's and the Taliban's brinksmanship! But that doesn't mean that the protest movement in Iran is reliably "progressive," especially given its Khomeiniite Islamist default leadership of Mousavi, Khatami, Rafsmanjani, et al.)

Historically, the death of the Left is an international phenomenon, and several-generations' long story. The particular stories of this death in various countries mutually condition each other. On the other hand, a reinvigorated Left in the U.S. would have a great positive impact in other parts of the world. But that won't happen -- the Left won't be reinvigorated anywhere -- if a global perspective is failed to be taken.

-- I'm somewhat taken aback, if not exactly surprised, at the nationalist assumptions in the discussion on this list -- all the way up to the absurd idea that world history would have taken a turn for the better if the Confederacy had prevailed in the American Civil War! -- Talk about inverted nationalism masquerading as internationalism!

"The Left is dead! -- Long live the Left!"

-- Chris

Chris Maisano cgmaisano at yahoo.com Thu Apr 8 15:47:53 PDT 2010