[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 18:15:33 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:

On Apr 9, 2010, at 1:22 PM, Richard Seymour wrote:

inserting not only the Taliban but also Hamas, Hezbollah and the Islamic
>> Republic of Iran on top of it all into this narrative of "conspiracy".
>>

> I don't know from "conspiracy," but is anyone prepared to deny that all
> these are utterly reactionary groups?

To paraphrase Doug, Chuck, and James (in a way they might not appreciate), just what the fuck does "reactionary" mean? In the cases of Hamas and Hizbullah, they're coordinating mass movements to resist occupation and apartheid, which is enough to earn them my respect and appreciation.

I'd be interested in learning just how "utter" you imagine their reaction to be. Many Western leftists buy into neocon stereotypes of political Islam that are transparently and ludicrously untrue. Left Turn has published a lot of good stuff on the topic, this for starters:

http://www.leftturn.org/?q=node/845