[lbo-talk] boycott histories (was: west on obama and boycotts)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 9 06:22:13 PDT 2010

I think the negative response to individualist action is reasonably traditional on the left. The IWW forbid individual members to commit sabotage on their own initiative. I believe most leftists scoffed at the Buy America campaigns of the '80s. They were nativist, served no purpose, and placed a burden on individual workers. The particular way it often arose on this list was a moralistic demand that we not use the product of some allegedly more-wicked-than-usual corporation. I argued (I would imagine) that such moralism was in effect anti-worker: it forced individual activity potentially contradictory to self-interest without contributing in any way to collective organization.

Now Gallo wine. It depends on a number of things. No one would wep if the Ballo brothers fell down a deep well, but that isn't the point. In the mid-60s the developing Movement of Movements gained momentum from aiding the farmworkers orgqnizing in Califor ia, and Gallo was a particular target. Picketing a grocery store requires some organizing efforts, and experience in that is importan5t, especially in the early stages of a movement when most of the participants are new to such activity. And such a picket revealed in a given locality that the growing uproar had arrived and was visible. That would excite a few people and and the local movement would grow. It became part of the growing visibility of left activity, and it is growth in visibility that attracts mass support as well as new oraganizers. As to 1998 -- I don't remember the context well enough to comment. Was there a strike going on? In which case one should honor the boycott if they called for one. If I called you an idiot either (a) I was being silly or (b) I meant it in the Greek sense of "private person," perhaps in response to what I perceived as a moralistic rather than political thrust to whatever post I was responding to. I hve always opposed moral prssure on individuals in a non-political context. In a political context, say where a vigorous left has achieved some strength, I would of course be willing not only to pressure people to honor a collectively organized boycott, but beat up those who vioated it (depending on political temperature).

Carrol