[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 14:30:25 PDT 2010

I was just commenting on the those who were looking at the Civil War through the same paradigm as the post-World War II period (use of the word "imperialism" to describe "Northern aggression", etc). I think the Union's triumph and radical reconstruction was the most revolutionary period in American history. Why denounce it through the lens of the 21st century?

Unless I'm missing the point and radical reconstruction is being denounced as a "revolution from above." Hopefully that's marginaly more coherent and someone can explain to me the objections to radical reconstruction and the use of "imperialism" to describe Northern motives in the Civil War.