[lbo-talk] the exotic

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Apr 11 05:56:59 PDT 2010

it's a "frame" site and it's considered bad bad bad awful web design practice these days. it was considered bad practice in 2003 actually. not that cutrone, who's not a web developer, is supposed to know that or sould spend his time worrying about it. also, i thought the photo was maybe from his days in a choir or singing group or something.

heartfield sent me the link off list. i confess that i didn't get enough sleep, so I tried to read and felt like I was wading through molasses. Plus, poetic and literary constructions and refs are often lost on my because I don't have the background. I just couldn't figure out what the paper had to do with my riffing on the way men's groups, especially, like to rip off aboriginal practices, sitting in teepees with talking sticks looking for their spirit animal.

relatedly, thinking about something eric said offlist WRT this position Cutrone took, where it was simply assumed, no need for explanation, that people in Afghanistan would live under warlords if the u.s. left: i didn't get an answer as to why this possibility should be salient for undead left thought.

i figure that the sentiment hasn't even been thought through enough. ideas have bubbled up, positions taken based on moral outrage or somesuch, that this would be a horrible fate and, by saying it, he wants to make the anti-imperialist left stop, shudder, and think, "oh noes! we never thought of that. *hand wringing* what shall we do? what position shall we take now that we realize this. it's all so difficult. it's complicated. we can't stay. we can't leave.

and everyone's supposed to sit around wringing their hands, worrying and wondering. ultimately immobilized. if the left is dead, this only makes it deader.

you know, maybe we could lobby facebook for a new politics category: "it's complicated."