[lbo-talk] NCLB bites the University?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 12 17:55:52 PDT 2010

The following was distributed on the English Department e-list today. I haven't explored it further or checked the website referred to, but it seems as though Universities may be asked to prepare teachers to conform to the No Child Left Behind. It may be of interest to college teachers on the list.

Carrol

From: lasteff at ilstu.edu [mailto:lasteff at ilstu.edu] Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 1:43 PM

Proposed amendments to Part 24 addressing the change in Standards for all Illinois Teachers to go into effect in 2012 are open for public comment at this time. When these rules go into effect, each teacher preparation program will be required to show how they will prepare teacher education candidates to meet every standard and all indicators. It was stated at the last Certification Board Meeting, that this means more than just a matrix. Syllabi, assessments, etc. will be needed to support the matrix.

Since this will greatly impact our work, you may wish to read the proposed standards and make a comment.

A link to the proposed rules for public comments may be found at the following website:

http://www.isbe.net/rules/proposed/default.htm.