[lbo-talk] mileage

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Apr 15 11:44:53 PDT 2010

> can someone explain to me why, back in the 80s and 90s, i could look
> at rabbits, horizons, mirages, etc. (cars) and find one that got high
> 30s to mid 40s on mileage, city and highway.
>
> why is it that, today, you're lucky if you can find a dinky ass car
> that gets mid-30s highway mileage.

It's a few things all adding up:

- Cars are getting heavier which means you get a bigger engine, etc. - Tighter emission controls cost energy - The EPA changed their standards in 2008 to reflect a more realistic driving mix

When Honda first introduced the accord in the late 70s, it weighed about 2000# and had a 1.6L engine and was rated at 45mpg highway; in 1981 they switched to a 1.8L; 1986 got the 2.0L; 1990 went to 2.2L; 1998 was a 2.3L; 2003 saw the 2.4L. That's 50% bigger than the original, and the curb weight for the Accord is now around 3400# and rates 30mpg/highway.

Curb weight for a 2010 VW "Rabbit" is nearly 3000# -- though the TDI (diesel) engine is still king of the road, currently spec'd to 45mpg.

/jordan