[lbo-talk] mileage

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:00:03 PDT 2010

Yeah, yeah, yeah, all that's nice and technical... the reason cars don't get better gas mileage today is because the auto companies don't want - and haven't ever really wanted - to make fuel efficient cars. For all that what Shag sees is true, it was pretty remarkable that - after whining for 30 years that they just couldn't possibly generate auto fleets with the average CAFE standards set in the late 1970s - in less than a year the Big 3 have suddenly found themselves able to raise fleet averages by 5-7 mpg and have accepted that they're going to have to go up a great deal more soon... shocking, they must have hired some new, really good engineers over the last 18 months... ;-( Alan