[lbo-talk] poll! people are stupid - or not! what do YOU say?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 15 19:15:27 PDT 2010

I think brad is just an ignorant amateur in politics who doesn[t know the screo and I've stopped reading him.

But I've had an ongoing argument with Ted for 10 years; he believes (crudely) that there exists an objective rationality and people need to achieve that rationality. I believe that something like 98% of the species are perfectly rational -- that rationality is a historical category constantly changing. The words "intelligent" and "unintelligent" (or "stupdi") have no referents as applied to persons; they can be applied to postions, and deciding whether a given position is stupid or intelligent is a political issue, not a question of human intelligence. Hobbes was probably right; there is far less differnce among people than there is among dogs.

Brad's characterization of the people on this list is stupid. The characterization, not the person makign it. Given brad's premises, wherever they come from, no one could arrive at intelligent positons on left strategy and tactics at the present time or any other time.

Carrol