[lbo-talk] another TP poll: still whiter, righter, more

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 06:02:05 PDT 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No, I said the liberals in that 27%. I was trying to respond to what I perceived (maybe incorrectly) as your conflation of the liberals and social democrats in that group. But yes, the portion that are liberal (I am using this term in the correct, non US, way) I think will try every manner of thing before they look at the capitalist roots of the problem. I do think that it will be harder to reach these people than people who don't have liberal ideology as ingrained.

Bhaskar wrote:
>Lenin hardly thought that the working class was inherently "reactionary" or conservative.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I didn't say anything about inherently, there is nothing inherent about any ideology that has been my whole point over the last few weeks of discussion here. Which is why we both agree that the ideology of the TP matters less than their class makeup.

I think we might disagree about how a left movement should proceed. My position is that the unity and organization will only emerge in struggle, not abstractly or through the dictate of a group of vanguards. The work that codre should be focused on now is to locate and highlight the universal expressions of the class struggle and help push those issues that create unity in struggle to the fore. I have little time for those on the left that think we must first focus on those who are closest to a pure leftist position. Instead I think we should find a common struggle and work out the details- shed the bourgeois ideology- in struggle together.

Brad

(