[lbo-talk] mayor of Champaign: Obama not an American

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Apr 17 19:40:05 PDT 2010

A member of our local Champaign-Urbana peace group, AWARE ("Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort") gave a thumb-nail sketch of the Champaign mayor's practice:

"...the long standing issues of overpolicing, racism and profiling of the CPD in the North End [the black section of town] and of African-Americans throughout Champaign, the gerrymandering of the township to minimize poverty aid to the most unfortunate, voting against the broadband proposal, his contempt for the public by leaving City Council meetings for extended periods of time during public comment when residents are being critical, bullying the Safe Haven community [a self-organized homeless group], refusing to adequately deal with the Kiwane police killing [in the presence of the police chief, a cop - who had already killed an unarmed citizen - shot and killed an unarmed 15-year-old; neither cop has been charged or disciplined in any way], etc. - it is long past time for him to resign."

That's all true. But in the face of that, what the local liberals choose to get upset about is the mayor's daring to raise an objection to our murderous chief magistrate!

The Constitution specifies that the president shall be a "natural born Citizen" (art. 2, sect. 1). It's not unreasonable to ask if he is, and I don't think many Americans are going to be bullied out of asking the question by liberal disapproval. They'll probably just think that's more evidence that's something's being hidden from them. --CGE