[lbo-talk] mayor of Champaign: Obama not an American

Bill Quimby wquimby at embarqmail.com
Sun Apr 18 09:24:10 PDT 2010

Probably I'm being hopelessly pessimistic, but I question the thought (maybe it was a hope that I share) that a Midwestern state university would have a liberalizing effect on the town in which it is located. While yes, the immediate campus neighborhood may tolerate an LGBT community, a few hippies, and Chomsky's latest on display, my experience living near Columbus and having worked at Ohio State suggests that a state university (and its faculty!) sadly tries extremely hard NOT to sow liberal feelings among the populace or among its students. To do so would threaten it's flow of money and support from the state and from dollar-rich alums.

(And while there may be a liberal prof or two, the rah rah for the football team can be depended on to drown out any negative publicity should she/he have made anything close to a critical statement.)

- Bill