[lbo-talk] agricultural productivity (was Thatcherism)

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 13:29:59 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:27, Sean Andrews <cultstud76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:52, brad bauerly <bbauerly at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is simply no way to explain the demographic boom that occurred
>> over the last 200-300 years other than giving credit to capitalist
>> agricultural productivity advances.

I would also add that something like 2/3 of the people to have ever lived to be over 60 are alive today. I.e. there is also an improvement in medicine--one that may quickly be as short lived as that of agriculture--that has added to the population growth. As they say, man cannot live on bread alone: he also needs antibiotics, chemotherapy, and triple bypasses!