[lbo-talk] in the American grain

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 07:30:59 PDT 2010

There are a number of factors in the satisfaction derived from a difficult task. Our brains/nervous systems feel good exercising the nerves, which are most dense in the parts of our bodies that we use in artistic endeavors -- fingers, eyes, ears, mouth and throat. We like to doodle, knit, and hum as well as paint, play piano, and sing opera. Too little obstacle is boring; too much, frustrating. We also have a status issue, in enjoying the admiration we get from conquering a difficult task. Anyone who doesn't keep up resolve and self-discipline with fantasies of weeks atop the charts belongs to a different species than I do. Most of all, we like to have an effect on the world around us, and I think it's fulfilling that goal that is the primary satisfaction. Everybody wants to be able to say, "I made a difference." The thought that "I was able to make the difference only because of the difficulty and effort involved" can lead us to assign more

value to the difficulty.

I've found that I enjoy working on something difficult that involves effort far more AFTER I get past the really tough beginner stage. It's just so hard and takes so much time for so little payoff. Once I've gotten some skill or laid out the plan for proceeding, then I enjoy putting out the effort to go forward, precisely because it's so much less laborious and I get the satisfactions other than just expending effort.

========================== I agree. Nothing more satisfying then a hard, sweaty workout or the labourious shaping and reshaping, the crafting, of written or physical material. But then again others like to stroll and to observe and to fish. And most of us like to do both at different times. The issue becomes how to eliminate the constraints which prevent people from a) taking satisfaction in their work and b) having the opportunity for more leisurely activity. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk