[lbo-talk] why is the left dead?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Apr 19 20:19:11 PDT 2010

carrol, of course, says there is no such thing as "the" left.

WRT the platypus discussion is was a commonplace that the left is dead.

Why is the left dead? is this a reference to the end of Grand Narratives?

what are people talking about when they say "the left" is dead?

sometimes, people have suggested some sort of coherence to leftist movement in the 60s. but then when i've read histories, i don't get the sense of coherence. what little bit i discerned in What is to be Done made me think that there wasn't much coherence then, either.

why do we think there was some sort of coherence in "the left" in the past? was there? maybe i read too much history focused on contentions among leftists, but i'm hard pressed, thinking about those histories, to see any coherence, at least coming out of the 60s.

shag