[lbo-talk] why is the left dead?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:39:24 PDT 2010

[WS:] I beg to differ. I think the heights of the left were years 1917 - 1924. The Left was the strongest politically and Stalinism was still in the future. After Lenin's death - it was only downhill.

There were two reasons - first social conditions for left mass mobilization were still there, but slowly disappearing with industrialization. By that I

mean social solidarity not eaten away by capitalist individualism. The second reason was that that the existence of a strong genuine vanguard party - a necessary condition of left mobilization as Lenin aptly observed - that was still relatively free of authoritarian tendencies. With Stalinism, the vanguard element was gone.

I am sorry, but the sixties were but children's play.

Wojtek