[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party (and why the Left is Dead)

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 19:51:33 PDT 2010

Shag writes:

"i just always think that it's a laff riot that people who take up this view - that economic crisis begets radicalization or even that economic crisis + correct left organization begets radicalization - didn't actually live through economic crisis or economic crisis + correct left organization in order to become radical!"

I can't speak for others. I notice that my own reaction to these troubles is to keep my head down at work, do my damnest to maintain good relations with possible job prospects, and save money. But as for what I say, I'm talking harder than ever in the public spaces I choose to occupy -- for example, a chat group of Okaland teachers/parents. It's not that I'm quoting Marx, but it's gloves off for any fool who argues against unions, for testing, for merit pay, for demonizing teachers, etc. And, I'm getting a lot of support.

Mostly, right now, I feel like I have to work hard to make people aware that the media crap is just that and to help them think through stuff for themselves. What helps is that we have something in common: a concern for our children's education and some kind of belief in public education.

What I'd say to everyone is, pick a fight. One fight. Education, health care, Palestine, prisons, drug war, whatever you care most about, and do whatever you can to define the terms of the debate and to help others find courage.

Joanna