[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party (and why the Left is Dead)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 19:26:20 PDT 2010

At 06:43 PM 4/21/2010, Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:

> I think back to the organizing work the Portuguese CP was able to do in the
>trade unions in the years before the Revolution. It's no guarantee of
>success, but like Michael saids, it presents an opportunity.

Coincidentally, Lou Proyect posted this to Pen-L yesterday:

http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/pen-l/2010w16/msg00049.htm

when workers tried to form a labor party in the 1930s in the USA, the CP did everything it could to prevent it from getting off the ground:

In Chapter six, an NKVD document reports on communications between Earl Browder, the head of the CPUSA, and Franklin Roosevelt. FDR congratulates Browder and the CPUSA for conducting its political line skillfully and helping US military efforts. Roosevelt is "particularly pleased" with the battle of New Jersey Communists against a left-wing Labor Party formation there. He was happy that the CPUSA had been able to unite various factions of the Democratic Party against the left-wing electoral opposition and render it ineffectual.

full: <http://www.columbia.edu/%7Elnp3/mydocs/american_left/klehr.htm>http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/american_left/klehr.htm