[lbo-talk] perceptions

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Apr 23 15:25:53 PDT 2010

today, my friend, the TP Bungholio guy?, he's telling me that the problem is, the economy is so fragile because everything is so connected and massive and big, that the slightest little thing could set it off. I had been talking about how all the recoveries since the Reagan recessions had been jobless, how you'd see the economy coming out of the trough but job creation lagged.

he looked at my completely startled that there was such an analysis. I continued, "Oh, yeah. Remember that link I sent to the list? The guy who predicted the bubble burst also predited the trough and he's been right. He also talked about the jobless recovery and compared to historical data."

So my friend is looking at me still with a look of wonder on his face.

He blinked and then went on about how fragile the economy was. "It's like this he says, did you know about the nukes? They have them in that country and it's closer to us than... (garbled, couldn't hear, I think he was talking about Venezuela??) For no reason, it could all just go *poof*. Attack us and we're at war."

I didn't understand what he was saying and asked, "So you mean that war will be good for the economy?"

No, he says, "I'm just trying to explain how fragile everything is. The problem is, with this government, they're not doing anything right. They're just throwing our money away."

yadda. I thought this fear of potential crisis any day now was interesting. none of these guys at work are suffering hardship during this economy. With my friend, they're facing a bogeyman of economic and geo-political peril that's going to get them. fascinating.

reminds me of a book I glanced at at the library today. New book about the wealthy, by some guy who runs a consulting firm that studies the wealthy and then sells business strategy consulting to companies that want to cater to the wealthy and upper middle class.

The wealthy with the most reprehensible views (e.g., they believed they were taxed too heavily, whereas 4 other classes of wealthy folks believed that were taxed just right or too little) were called Mavericks. These folks appear to live in constant fear, feel that the only way to get ahead is to compromise principals, that people only want to be their friends b/c of their money, etc.