[lbo-talk] perceptions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 23 16:56:51 PDT 2010

Opinons do not affect action. There is no culture of public involvement in the United States, and having a 'view' on some issue does not, for most people, trigger the question of WITBD, but only a general feeling that "someone ought to do something about it." Only under the most extraordinary conditions (which cannot be willed into existence) do any large number of people (left or right) think in terms of any action of their own making a difference. If you read most letters to the editor, this is clear. They are not self-consciously participating in a possible public activity, they are "expressing" themselves, passively. Voting is the same. It is not an action.

I think it was St. Just who advised citizens to conduct their private affairs and not interfere in state activities. That is the informing principle of representative democracy. The important activties are all private, conducted among friends, family, and work associates. One forms passive opinons on public affairs, but beyond voting for others on the hope t hey will do good things, these opinions aare merely opinions, part of one's identity as it were, like the color of one's hair or food preferences. I can't recall the exact quotation, but St. Just argued that this was the proper course for the mass of citizens: take care of their private affairs and leave the state alone.

In my pre-political days this use to vaguely bother me on occasion. I would read an article in a liberal journal about some public issue, some injustice, some desperate need not being met by government, and (as I say, vaguely, wonder what difference having this knowledge made. It took about five years of expanded public activity in the early '60s, as reflected in what I read for it to accumulate to the point where I, casually to begin with, started attending the weekly meetings of a small civil-rights group that had been started in Bloomington. Then things moved faster. Within a year I became bothered by the dependence of our local goals (if we achieved them) on a wider scope of events. Clearly others were thinking along the same lines, hence greater involvement in regional anti-war activities, etc etc etc. But at no point in this whole process did an abstract idea on a given issue lead to action. Rather, finding myself inolved in public activity, I and others began asking ourselves just how that activity could be made effective, what were the ideas that made sense of what we were doing.

Crudely put, before very many people (and even then a fairly small minority) take their own activity seriously there has to be a rising public hullabaloo, creating an atmosphere or culture in which collective action is first attractive, then actually promises change.

So? I don't know.

Carrol