[lbo-talk] Tea Partiers: A paleocon perspective

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 12:15:21 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

Just what's so sensible about this? Sounds like an attempt to recuperate the
> Lost Cause to me. States' rights, man!

Did you miss the first sentence of the excerpt you quoted?

As I read them, his points boil down to two claims: "The Tea Parties are about neither race nor the federal debt, but about the militant defense of 'American exceptionalism', that is, the empire"; and "the morality tale of the virtuous North is indispensable to the perpetuation of the American Empire".

I also think that a substantial number, if decided minority, of the Tea Partiers fall into a Constitutionalist/pro-Ron Paul camp that eludes his analysis here. In general, though, I think he's right that a majority of the Tea Party's liberal/left opponents actually have more in common with it, than it does with the "states' rights" caricature they draw of it.