[lbo-talk] Tea Partiers: A paleocon perspective

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 13:05:04 PDT 2010

"States' Rights" is trotted out by the right wing only to object to enforcement of civil rights. On corporate rights, the right wing promotes "preemption", which means that the states are barred from imposing regulations to protect consumers and the environment. So a 55-mile-an-hour speed limit on the Interstate violates states' rights, but no states' right allows imposing a regulation banning payday lending in the state.

There's a kind of infantile "Anything I don't like is a violation of my freedom when the government's involved" combined with a servile identification with and kowtowing to the rich. I think that identification with the rich is dependent on American exceptionalism.

________________________________ Joseph Catron on Thu, April 29, 2010 3:15:21 PM wrote:

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

Just what's so sensible about this? Sounds like an attempt to recuperate the
> Lost Cause to me. States' rights, man!

Did you miss the first sentence of the excerpt you quoted?

As I read them, his points boil down to two claims: "The Tea Parties are about neither race nor the federal debt, but about the militant defense of 'American exceptionalism', that is, the empire"; and "the morality tale of the virtuous North is indispensable to the perpetuation of the American Empire".

I also think that a substantial number, if decided minority, of the Tea Partiers fall into a Constitutionalist/pro-Ron Paul camp that eludes his analysis here. In general, though, I think he's right that a majority of the Tea Party's liberal/left opponents actually have more in common with it, than it does with the "states' rights" caricature they draw of it.