[lbo-talk] what's left

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Apr 30 09:36:42 PDT 2010

dennis claxton:
> I don't argue when there's real disagreement.

brad:
> You just refuse to explain how you disagree, or don't really even know
> why
> yourself, while continually interjecting that the other person is
> wrong.
> That sounds very productive.

no brad. what he means is, if the positions are so far apart that there's practically no common ground it's impossible to have a productive discussion. it's actually a pretty common tenent of sociology: we argue most vehemently when we have a lot in common.

jesus.

you plunged in on this one, certain you knew the minds of your opponents. in your mind, they just had to disagree with you because they didn't, what was it?, understand your terribly simple concepts and arguments. Apparently, it doesn't occur to you that people disagree with you, have arguments to support their disagreement. Instead, they can't wrap their heads around simple ideas like yours. Poor dears. When someone enters the fray like that, unwilling to concede that their opponent has anything worthy to offer, not surprisingly, no one is interested in carrying on a disagreement after awhile.

shag