[lbo-talk] say no to college

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 21:14:00 PDT 2010

Sociologists have been arguing for decades that college is primarily - though not absolutely - about certification and networking, not about learning, science or citizenship. I actually think there's more to it than that, but the last thing I'd argue is that - despite some of our best efforts, the celebration of life-long learning, critical consciousness and general inquisitiveness and engagement is the general product of time in college.

Altucher's argument makes quite a bit of sense if you and your kids come from his class/status background. Other families, with fewer resources, less already-embedded wealth and connections, and less intellectual (political, economic, cultural) socialization, not so much. Most of my students need the certificate of authenticity and the networking generated on and off campus.

I wonder if Altucher would follow up this argument with its rarely-seen cousin: advocating for all-research/no teaching universities?