[lbo-talk] say no to college

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 16:15:04 PDT 2010

I think what you're saying fits with what both Miles and I said. No matter how much more you know and understand about your profession over and above newly minted college grads, w/o the certification of a degree you fall below them in status and employability according to official standards. But, more than that, Altucher's blindness to the facts of his families wealth and pre-established networking - and the ways these conditions and relations lay the groundwork for his kids success (and his view of college as a scam) keeps him from seeing situations like yours, or that of the vast majority of my students, as pertinent. In my profession, there's often the further reification of newly-mintedness-as-certification-of-quality (either that or prospective malleability) when it comes to hiring experienced temporary or itinerate faculty, something I know well and my wife, who may be about to lose her job due to state budget cuts, already justifiably fears. Yours, A

PS: I'd bet that, unlike Diane's mom who lives in Port Charlotte and got a degree as a grandma, your life experience may countas credit towards a degree but not towards the kinds of professional courses or major you need for the particular certification...