[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 07:45:48 PDT 2010

Apropos of the reported, but not yet confirmed ( http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/08/tony_judt_reported_dead.html) death of Tony Judt, I offer his contribution to the debate, which really deserves to be read in full:

"Thus it will not be self-evident to future generations of Americans why the imperial might and international reputation of the United States are so closely aligned with one small, controversial Mediterranean client state. It is already not at all self-evident to Europeans, Latin Americans, Africans or Asians. Why, they ask, has America chosen to lose touch with the rest of the international community on this issue? Americans may not like the implications of this question. But it is pressing. It bears directly on our international standing and influence; and it has nothing to do with anti-Semitism. We cannot ignore it. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/19/opinion/19judt.html