[lbo-talk] Who was Charles Dickens?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 15 17:28:48 PDT 2010

Your paragraph prompted me to take down from the shelf my copy of /Bleak House/ (in Al Guerard's edition) for the first time in years. You're quite right - with the surprising reference to "Megalosaurus," and the following comments on balloons and gas...

Do you find it surprising that it was Chesterton's book on Dickens, a century ago, that did much to establish the latter's reputation? /The Victorian Age in Literature/ stands athwart much of present-day opinion - if those authors are read at all...