[lbo-talk] Who was Charles Dickens?

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun Aug 15 17:29:09 PDT 2010

Yes, after I read that essay, I thought I should go back and read some Dickens as a man and not a grumbling teenager who resented homework. I could probably follow the subtextural sexuality if there was any. I really got on a grumb against English Victorian lit. I liked the French and Russians because there was less prudery. About the only thing I liked in English was the use of language, which gets lost in translations. I hated James, but I loved his language and the ability to write a paragraph long sentence. Emerson too. Then there was Melville and Crane who were my favorites.

I really took to Hemingway in my twenties. He still seems to stand up. Anyway...

CG