[lbo-talk] profits

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 19 10:25:32 PDT 2010

Alan Rudy wrote:

> Explicitly not tooting my own horn but did others here find the first three
> chapters difficult?

I think it is _deceptively_ clear. I had no trouble with it either my first two or three times I read it. But I think only in the last few years have I begun to see how it relates concretly to the remainder of Marx's work. And note how much dispute there is over whether a "simple commodity economy" is a hypothetical construct or actually existed in history! That was the 'take-off' wuestion for a recent hot thread on this list, and quite distintuished scholars disagree on it.

Carrol