[lbo-talk] Read Ayn Rand

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:09:30 PDT 2010

huh. Interesting. I think I would have liked this a lot in high school and college. That's not meant to be derisive, btw. Just that on the face of it he seems to be saying a lot of the things that I was thinking about (although I hadn't yet given up on government).

When I was in high school, I was on the debate team, which I know is hard to imagine. My senior year, the resolution under debate was economic (about the government providing employment to impoverished citizens [sic]). On our team, I was the capitalist guy, quoting Adam Smith and Ludwig von Mises in debate rounds, and then there was the guy who used to play "Marxist radical criminology" and, dearer to his art, anarchism. It was fun, and we could argue about it because we had the same priorities, really. It occurs to me to wonder if he was using Rothbard.

But maybe this is also why I'm so inclined to think of Ayn Rand Paul libertarianism as a phase that people should have grown out of by the time they're voting in their second or third election.