[lbo-talk] WikiLeaks: What is it good for?

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun Aug 22 10:42:14 PDT 2010

I'm curious what you all think of the significance of WikiLeaks.

Everything helps. I spent a couple of days going through some of the categories. There were few surprises. But the shear volumn was pretty impressive. Day after day of ruining people's lives, with a few killings and woundings here and there add up. The fact that most of the activity is like police raids and nothing like the image of a war was also revealing.

There is a limited supply of video but you have to search around for it. The Canadians and Brits are the sources for some of the remote outpost coverage, and some of that is pretty hairy.

The real scoop of the wars was Abu Ghraib by Sy Hersh. The other was Scahill's Blackwater book. Wikileaks just adds to the breakdown of the whole concept.

The real question is why is the public so numb? Nothing seems to matter to them at all. War, recession(depression), environmental disasters, breakdown of schools and local government. The complete discrediting of the media as news. These are some pretty big problems.

The first and last reaction is just to cover up the problems and spin what can't be covered up. Prosecute the whistle blowers and if that doesn't work, smear them on sex charges.

It seems to me a discredited government and the disconnect between the real and whatever passes for policy is a serious danger, but of a kind I don't know how to characterize. These are sociopathic conditions so who knows what's next...

CG