[lbo-talk] modern witchcraft

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 07:06:26 PDT 2010

Very interesting. Sitting next to me--hopefully to be read in spurts over the next year or so, during my kid's nap and in between classes--is Silvia Federici's /Caliban and The Witch/. I haven't read it, but her thesis is basically that the accusation of witchcraft is usually in response to people resisting primitive accumulation. Not sure how these kids fit into it, but I believe she looks at modern day Africa as well as colonial US and medieval Europe. Here's a short review:

http://www.lipmagazine.org/articles/revicontent_caliban.htm

[in perusing the review, looks like it is just western europe in early modern era; connection to Africa was made in Raj Patel's book "value of nothing" re: ending the commons then and now. Again, no mention of kids, but...]