[lbo-talk] letter to editor

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 14:01:23 PDT 2010

So Clark Clifford has now come up in two recent threads, and that reminds me that when I was going through his papers at the Library of Congress I found a 1983 letter from William Fulbright raising the question of whether the Soviets' KAL 007 shootdown was some sort of American put-up job. I still have the letter in PDF if anyone's interested. I vaguely recall that there were conspiracy theories floated in the left press at the time.

SA

^^^^^^^ CB: Yeah, as I recall the plane kind of recklessly violated the accepted airspace limits of the time, and did some other strange things like ignoring all kinds of "wing tips" or something from the Soviet fighter jets. Then the plane was flight "007" in an era conscious of James Bond as "Agent 007". I'm not sure how one gets around that the pilots would have to be knowingly committing suicide.