[lbo-talk] NYT: Post-Katrina Racist Violence: Rumors were all too true

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Aug 27 06:00:42 PDT 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/us/27racial.html

The New York Times

August 26, 2010

Rumor to Fact in Tales of Post-Katrina Violence

By TRYMAINE LEE

NEW ORLEANS -- In the days after Hurricane Katrina left much of New

Orleans in flooded ruins, the city was awash in tales of violence and

bloodshed.

The narrative of those early, chaotic days -- built largely on rumors

and half-baked anecdotes -- quickly hardened into a kind of ugly

consensus: poor blacks and looters were murdering innocents and

terrorizing whoever crossed their path in the dark, unprotected city.

"As you look back on it, at the time it was being reported, it looked

like the city was under siege," said Russel L. Honoré, the retired Army

lieutenant general who led military relief efforts after the storm.

Today, a clearer picture is emerging, and it is an equally ugly one,

including white vigilante violence, police killings, official cover-ups

and a suffering population far more brutalized than many were willing

to believe. Several police officers and a white civilian accused of

racially motivated violence have recently been indicted in various

cases, and more incidents are coming to light as the Justice Department

has started several investigations into civil rights violations after

the storm.

"The environment that was produced by the storm brought out what was

dormant in people here -- the anger and the contempt they felt against

African-Americans in the community," said John Penny, a criminologist

at Southern University of New Orleans. "We might not ever know how many

people were shot, killed, or whose bodies will never be found."

Broken levees left 80 percent of New Orleans submerged, but in

unflooded Algiers Point, for instance, a mostly white enclave in a

predominantly black neighborhood on the west bank of the Mississippi

River, armed white militias cordoned off many of the streets.

They posted signs that boasted, "We shoot looters." And the sound of

gunfire peppered the hot days and nights like thunderclaps of a second

storm.

Reginald Bell, a black resident, said in a recent interview that he was

threatened at gunpoint by two white men there a few days after the

storm. The men, on a balcony a few blocks from his home, yelled at him,

"We don't want your kind around here!"

Then one of the men racked his pump-action shotgun, aimed it at Mr.

Bell and dared him to be seen again on the streets of Algiers Point,

Mr. Bell said. The next day, he said, the men confronted him on his

porch while he sat with his girlfriend. They shoved guns -- a shotgun

and a long-nose .357 Magnum -- in the couple's faces and reiterated

their demand.

"There was no electricity, no police, no nothing," said Mr. Bell, 41,

sitting on his porch on a recent afternoon. "We were like sitting

ducks. I slept with a butcher knife and a hatchet under my pillow."

The West Bank area of the city was spared any flooding, but in the days

and weeks after the storm, it was littered with fallen trees and,

according to witnesses, with the bodies of several black men -- none of

whom appeared to have drowned.

"I done seen bodies lay in the streets for weeks," said Malik Rahim,

who lives around the corner from Mr. Bell and came to his aid. "I'm not

talking about the flooded Ninth Ward, I'm talking about dry Algiers. I

watched them become bloated and torn apart by dogs. And they all had

bullet wounds.

"We've been screaming it from the top of our lungs since those first

days, but nobody wanted to listen."

Mr. Bell said that he went to the police not long after the

confrontation with the two gun-wielding white men but no report or

action was taken. It was not until last year when he was interviewed by

a federal grand jury looking into civil rights violations in

post-Katrina New Orleans that people seemed to pay attention, he said.

Some of the most serious accusations surfaced after investigations by

The Times-Picayune and the nonprofit news organization ProPublica,

which spotlighted much of the police violence and racially motivated

violence around Algiers Point.

One case is that of a former Algiers resident, Roland J. Bourgeois Jr.,

who is white and was accused of being part of one of the vigilante

groups. He was recently indicted by the federal government on civil

rights charges in the shooting of three black men who were trying to

leave the city. According to the indictment, Mr. Bourgeois, who now

lives in Mississippi, warned one neighbor that "anything coming up this

street darker than a brown paper bag is getting shot."

The highest-profile case involving the police is the Danziger Bridge

shooting in eastern New Orleans, where six days after Katrina, a group

of police officers wielding assault rifles and automatic weapons fired

on a group of unarmed civilians, wounding a family of four and killing

two, including a teenager and a mentally disabled man. The man, Ronald

Madison, 40, was shot in the back with a shotgun and then stomped and

kicked as he lay dying, according to court papers.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu in May invited the Justice Department to conduct a

full review of the city's Police Department. The Justice Department has

also begun several civil and criminal investigations into post-Katrina

violence involving the police and civilians.

Thomas Perez, an assistant attorney general, said the federal

government was investigating eight criminal cases involving accusations

of police misconduct. Many people in the city -- including activists,

victims and witnesses -- had long contended that racial violence was

being ignored by local law enforcement.

"We were dismissed as kooks for the last four years," said Jacques

Morial, a co-director of the Louisiana Justice Institute, a nonprofit

advocacy organization, and the son of New Orleans' first black mayor.

"I think what we are seeing now recalibrates the reality of Katrina,

and I think it vindicates lots of folks."

The city's police superintendent, Ronal Serpas, who took over the

department in May, said he was troubled by what has come to light since

the storm.

"We have to confront this and look at it head on," Mr. Serpas said.

"There have been far too many examples of men who have worn this badge

and admitted in court to behavior that is an absolute insult to this

city and to the men and women of this department who wear this badge

with dignity and pride."

On a recent afternoon, Mr. Rahim, 62, walked through the streets of

Algiers and pointed out where, block by block, the militias had set up

barricades and stood guard. He walked along the levee where the charred

remains of Henry Glover were found in the trunk of a burned-out car,

precipitating the indictment of three current and two former police

officers.

"How can you remove the scars from the eyes of all the children who

witnessed these atrocities?" Mr. Rahim asked.

General Honoré said that he had been asking himself questions, too.

"I think, every year there is more time for people to reflect on it,"

he said. "I came out of Katrina with one perspective on it. And there

isn't a month that goes by that I don't talk to someone who survived it

who gives me a different perspective than I had before."