[lbo-talk] My first and possibly last POMO post

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Aug 30 17:45:41 PDT 2010

I'll tell you what he managed to do to me: completely short-circuit my brain. It simply cannot reconcile Glenn Beck with Martin Luther King and civil rights. Joanna

Pretty much my reaction, only with an uptick in the anger-hate index. I watched a few news clips covering Palin. Take back America... The only hopeful note was the age factor, old or middle aged. I didn't see any young people, except a few small children. I think the intent was to simply shit on MLK.

I wanted to get a hate rush just to brace up the evening, but this wasn't it. It was entirely foolish.

The constant droning of hate: hate Muslims, hate Mexicans, hate Blacks, hate, hate, hate. Endless war, war, war. Then money, money, money. Followed by lies, lies, lies. It all blurs into a spinning mantra that is more horrible to live in week after week after week.

Like the slowly building economic paranoia that another crash is coming down the line, I am also getting a new paranoia, of social chaos. I can't believe these endless waves of hate and overt scapegoating simply pass over people like so much hot air.

Nobody probably watched the Aljazeera discussion I posted, but they should. It directly reflects on what's happening within our own society. US foreign policy in the Muslim world foments sectarian violence through various repressions, and extends economic pressure on the lowest most vulnerable, while breaking down democratic institutions what few there are, which in turn feeds resistance and leads to terrorism.

Very similar policies are being carried out on us. Break down public institutions, oppress the most vulnerable, feed our own homegrown sectarianisms. Now these policies work well to destroy other countries and make them failed states in endless war.

What makes us think those same policies won't result in the same effects at home?

CG