[lbo-talk] On Wikileaks

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 12:49:20 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is that the pool of diplomatic cables in the hands of Wikileaks
> will dry out, and getting new ones will be made almost impossible... embassy
> employees will be likely short of strip-searched when leaving each embassy´s
> premises, and pen drives, mp3 players, and even cell phones will be banned
> for embassy personnel, plus access to those databases will likely be cut off
> (if not already) for military personnel abroad, which was likely the source
> of Assange´s leaks.

According to Assange, this is the point - not that Wikileaks will be able to continue unveiling diplomatic cables, etc., but that the government will no longer be able to maintain this kind of database, which, as I understand it, was available to thousands of people. More sensitive information will be further restricted, and lessen the effectiveness of the intelligence network as a whole. That's the argument, anyway. It's still information fetishism but it's a little more subtle than the argument that getting this stuff before the public will change everything.

Mike Beggs