[lbo-talk] Ravitch v. Gates

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Dec 2 15:21:29 PST 2010

Have you ever heard the term "loss leader"?

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Jackson" <cqmv at pdx.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:16:13 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Ravitch v. Gates

On 12/2/2010 2:19 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> He doesn't want to reform education. He is increasingly unable to compete, so he's setting things up for some fat public money contracts supplying educational software to public/charter schools.
>
> Joanna

Hey, I'll get in line to take my share of potshots at Gates, but this is a bit facile. The Gates Foundation is funding a number of grant initiatives in the Washington Community and Technical College system, and none of them are directed toward adopting Microsoft software "solutions". For instance, the Foundation is funding development of an open source library of intro college-level course materials with low/no cost ebooks and reading materials to be shared freely with any educational institutions that would like to use them. That's about as far away from Microsoft's business model as I can imagine!

Miles