[lbo-talk] Ravitch v. Gates

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 2 16:20:23 PST 2010

The point is to defend the schools, not to score empty moral points against Bill Gates. I forget Tamas's exact words, but one of his essential points is that moral judgments are for losers. When Socil Democracy lost its hope, it turned to Kant and Morality.

It is politically destructive to focus on Bill Gates as a person, his motives, etc. That is the way losers cover up their hopelessness.

Assume that Bill Gates means what he says -- and believes it. That is the only premise that ever makes sense in building a resistance movement.

We do need to analyze, without caterwauling or moralism just why the nation's leadership, including Bates and Obama, are heading this way. Emotion doesn't help us do that.

Carrol