[lbo-talk] Julian Assange arrested in London

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 14:35:12 PST 2010

Voyou: "Assange's lawyer, unsurprisingly, attempts to put the best possible face on the allegations, and his account may not be terribly accurate. The women Assange is accused or raping do not, in fact, say that the sex was consensual::

[WS:] The point is not whether the charges are true or false, but whether they would have been pursued if anyone else but Assange were involved. I doubt. Prosecutors have considerable discretion which cases to purse, and they often do not prosecute cases if they feel they have little chances of winning them. The Assange case strikes me as being one of such cases - the fact that Swedish prosecutors decided to go ahead anyway and that the Interpol was put on highest alert strongly suggests that there were other reasons. I sincerely doubt that this would have escalated to this or for that matter any level if a Joe Schmoe rather than Assange were the alleged perp.

Wojtek