[lbo-talk] Julian Assange arrested in London

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:17:04 PST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM, ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I notice that Rundle discusses some details of the sex charges. Are the actual
> charges available somewhere do you know? I thought the details were sealed.

Yeah, there are official charges now, including one of straightforward rape. From Rundle's piece the day before:

"The European arrest warrant was served on the basis of a Swedish warrant, which is now for prosecution, rather than merely as part of an investigation. There are four charges, combining allegations of r-pe, s-xual assault and "ofredande", the distinctive Swedish charge of misconduct/annoyance.

"Three charges are based on the allegations of "complainant a", in whose apartment Assange was staying in mid-August. The first is one of r-pe -- that Assange used his body weight to lie on her, pushed her legs open and forced s-x.

"The second charge is that Assange "assaulted her s-xual integrity" by "having s-x without a condom despite complainant's earlier expressed unwillingness to do so". Another s-xual integrity assault is that Assange "pushed his erect p-nis into her back without permission, while sharing a bed". The fourth charge is by the second complainant, "complainant b" which alleges "having s-x with the complainant while she was asleep, without a condom"."