[lbo-talk] Protests being planned around the world in support of WikiLeaks` Julian Assange

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 09:00:46 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [WS:} I wonder what the impact (if any) of the Wikileaks affair will be on
> the development of class consciousness of computer geeks?  Will they realize
> that all that cherished "internet freedom" is merely a privilege extended to
> them by the corporate-imperial state and can be revoked at will,
> international boundaries notwithstanding?  Will they realize that no matter
> how smart they are  they are still subjected to the imperial rule just as
> any other grunt toiling in the corporate global factory?

I think that it is recognized a great deal more than it was before the last decade of dimished expectations. I have no hard numbers, but I have noticed that the techno-libertarianism that used to be prominent on sites like Slashdot tends to get shouted down now. I also wonder about the effect of the increased virtual mixing with people who haven't grown up with our national ideology. Viva globalization!

-- Andy