[lbo-talk] A Counterpunch essay on state secrecy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 10 07:52:30 PST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> But those attempts are a mistake. From a left political perspective (rather
> than from the intellectual's armchair) the leaks only add more confusion to
> the huge overload of information which is a barrier rather than an aid to
> organizing. There is not one piece of information in the files of the
> federal government the release of which would give even a whisper of aid to
> the tasks of organizing

I basically agree, but as several people have pointed out, the effects abroad may be more powerful than those in the U.S. Nigerians now know just how extensively Shell penetrated their gov; Australians now know that Washington had a stoolie in Canberra; Arabs now know that many of their govs were cheering on a U.S. attack on Iran. Etc. Of course, we sorta knew these things all along - but now we really *know* them.

Doug