[lbo-talk] A Counterpunch essay on state secrecy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 10 08:32:10 PST 2010

Doug Henwood: I basically agree, but as several people have pointed out, the effects abroad may be more powerful than those in the U.S. Nigerians now know just how extensively Shell penetrated their gov; Australians now know that Washington had a stoolie in Canberra; Arabs now know that many of their govs were cheering on a U.S. attack on Iran. Etc. Of course, we sorta knew these things all along - but now we really *know* them.

And I mostly agree with this. Those effects are, however, only pot4ential effects. I understand that in some places the information is already being incorporated into political action (demonstrations, etc) that can make the news an active element. But, for example, most Arab states are ruled by despotic governments in bed with the u.s. And repression works more often than not.

And a jump to a topic which might be connected.

Over the last 40 years in all sorts of contexts, and in many posts on this list, we have heard the song, "The Student Movement of the '60s Failed to Reach the 'Working Class.'"

They had it all wrong. One could more accurately say that the Labor Movement of the '30s failed to reach the students.

Young workers (that is, students) are going to be at the very heart of any serious mass movement in the U.S. -- as they have been in countless places in the past, and as they seem to be now in Europe.

A "working-class fetish," that turns the "working class" into an identity rather than a class, continually confuses left thought.

Carrol