[lbo-talk] getting back to criticism

Hein Marais hein at marais.as
Sun Dec 12 01:43:01 PST 2010

For a rather different perspective re music and 'the people', suss this and related videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yzslfWjVk&feature=related

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRiNzDOf0kk&feature=related

Chanced on this via review in recent Wire of the Shangaan electro comp, which is crazy good BTW. The recordings are selling in 10s of 1000s in South Africa, which is huge for that market.

See especially the spot-on comment with one of the videos, spotting the totally serendipitous Fever Ray similarities (speeded to 170-180bpm of course). What other points of comparison/influence do you detect?

PS: Cardew eventually of course clued into the fact that there's something to be said for creating music that people'd want to listen to why quaffing lagers and, if not exactly shaking their hips, maybe tapping their feet.