[lbo-talk] getting back to criticism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 13 06:49:35 PST 2010

I can't handle that web site. What does the article say?

Bobby Seale: "You can't hate a whole group." Is that relevant here?

Any dismissal of _any_ group, _at this time_, is an adventure in crystal-ball gazing, since the only relevant question about a group (however defined) is how will they behave in (undefined) conditions at some (unpredictable) future date.

As a _present_ judgment, teachers are pusillanimous and obtuse. That is both true and stupid, because we don't know and can't know when it will be important for them to be otherwise.

Al my comments are from the perspective of a local activist & a agitator, plunged into endless theorizing because no one else seems to be doing from the needed perspective.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:33 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] getting back to criticism

http://www.chinesenewear.com/gno/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/cardew_stockhaus en.pdf

> In a nutshell (- and I merely report, you decide):

My god, that's silly.

I yield to no one in my contempt for what Mencken called that flapdoodle blowing out of the east. But, really, should one hold Bach in contempt for the Christianity of so much of his music?