[lbo-talk] getting back to criticism

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 21:04:36 PST 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2010, at 6:13 PM, Mike Beggs wrote:
> >>
> http://www.chinesenewear.com/gno/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/cardew_stockhausen.pdf
> >
> > In a nutshell (- and I merely report, you decide):
>
> My god, that's silly.
>
> I yield to no one in my contempt for what Mencken called that flapdoodle
> blowing out of the east. But, really, should one hold Bach in contempt for
> the Christianity of so much of his music?
>
> Doug

And people - yet, surely, no one here - wonder why anthropologists reject discourses of purity and authenticity... At the same time, Doug, aren't both the search for a purity and insisting on absolute pollution (a position I wouldn't expect that you're taking) equally flapdoodly? Aren't the useful positions and interesting arguments the one's that pursue drawing lines while, nevertheless, refusing to reify the line or treat the poles - however many there are - as real? A